slogging away

yes, I am slogging away through a sea of doubt. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever understand what makes a good song into a great song, and what elements of a great song make it commercially viable. One song I've submitted several times has great lyrics (I'm told), good contrast between sections, catchy melody, etc... but is not considered *m.a.r.k.e.t.a.b.l.e*. So what do you do with that?

Still, I continue to work and put together songs... and I still think I can only write my songs for me... yes, I can craft them for the market by using the forms that are prevelent, but I can't change the essense of them. I like dreamy soundscapes that are as much about music as they are about words... setting a mood, a scene. I also like powerful word statements & strong backgrounds. Both don't seem to be hitting the mark as far as the industry goes.

I am working on writing and recording several songs, from which I will choose 3 to 5 for an EP, to be released on my own indie label this summer. That's why I've been a little lax about posting here, so apologies to you if you've been waiting for an update. I think too, it's hard to talk about your process when you are struggling with despondency around the lack of interest in new/unique sounds from the homogenized industry.

But I am having fun with my new recording system, I'm starting to figure out what I'm doing and my newest doesn't sound half bad!!

Talk to you soon - I promise...

No comments: