the challenge...

I was watching a TAXI TV episode today with two very successful media composers. It was very interesting when they started talking about time. They don't do facebook, they don't watch tv. As they spoke I knew they were right, that there are definitely hours in my day that could be put to better use.

So I began again. Years ago I had a daily journal where I would write down what I'd done that day towards my creative goals. Not big earth shattering amounts of anything. Just a slow, sure walk on the path.

Since I'm working on several things at the moment, my list is Words (for writing my novel); Guitar (must practice as I am taking lessons), Composing (create music), Walk (good for you), and an ancillary item or two like 'pay bills' or 'put the recycle out'.

I remind myself that the goal here is not to be perfect. I may write something that doesn't quite jive or the musical cue I start may not gel, or my guitar practice may still be out of time with the metronome. But a little work on each of these things every day is, first and foremost, acting creatively. Secondly, you can't get to where you want to go without walking the path before it, however overgrown or meandering. ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I sometimes struggle with juggling writing fiction, practicing the keys and composing music, convincing myself if I want to be good at something I need to choose one. But I’m happier doing all 3 so maybe that’s what counts - the daily practice. I also felt validated giving up social media after watching the Taxi episode.