feet of clay...

No one is perfect. That much we can all probably agree on. Each one of us have been influenced by any number of people in our formative years. Even before we understood language, we sensed meaning. Perhaps things were clearer, in a way, more simple. That was dangerous. That was uncomfortable. That made us laugh. That made us interested.

It's hard to know how much of what we experienced when we were young has to do with who we are as adults. But I do believe that if we can become aware of what we have integrated and, if we wish to change it, it is possible. The key, naturally, is the awareness part.

It's not easy to look at my own perceptions and preconceived ideas. Most are not black and white, they are a jumbled mess of voices that contradict themselves but all seem to agree that what ever I do, I'm not doing enough of it, or I'm doing it badly, or I'm doing it wrong, or I should just give it up.

Apparently we have something called a crocodile brain that plays a feedback loop all day long, ensuring that we stay where we are and how we are.

There’s a couple things I want to say about that. First, in ‘The Artist’s Way,’ Julia Cameron talks about identifying these negative things you tell yourself. Then, change the statement to something positive.

My mind used to screech at me that I was too old for whatever creative thing I was pursuing. It would say so in letters as large as the Hollywood sign.

YOU ARE TOO OLD

I took that and made the affirmation, ‘I am a young, strong, and worthy singer. I have the right to sing.’

Second thing I want to say is… don’t believe the hype. People are not ‘born with it’ they ‘make it happen’. I’m not a doctor or a psychologist but I can tell you that I believe that most people are capable of change. It just takes work. Consistent practice of a new habit. Determination not to let the past win and affect the future. And perhaps even a sense of satisfaction in at least doing something towards a dream. ~

No comments: