on writer's block

Phillip Pullman's thoughts on writer's block:

"I don't believe in it. All writing is difficult. The most you can hope for is a day when it goes reasonably easily. Plumbers don't get plumber's block, and doctors don't get doctor's block; why should writers be the only profession that gives a special name to the difficulty of working, and then expects sympathy for it?" http://www.philip-pullman.com/

IMO the antidote to writer's block is... to write.

I think I should write something pretty much every day, even if it’s just a line or a verse or a scrap of melody. I do a lot of writing challenges because they push me to create (50 songs in 90 days, February is Album Writing Month, for example). Not that everything you write every day will be gold, but me writing every day is part of the practice of being a writer. I also read literature & books & newspapers & magazines, watch movies & television because… as songwriters, we are story tellers, therefore we need to feed the storyteller within us with ideas.

1 comment:

Chase said...

This is an interesting take on the writer's block. I wrote songs for fun, not for a living (though I wish), however my day job is a graphic designer. My creativity comes in waves, but if there is an ad due I can't wait for the wave to come back through, I have to force it. It can be painful and clunky at first, but I always am surprised by what I can produce while in a so-called block.