we can be alone, together

You know, I think we have to be careful in our perspectives right now. Thinking of ourselves as isolated from each other makes us feel more disconnected than ever. Although we have agreed to put distance between ourselves to assist everyone around us to stay healthy, and to help the medical system to cope, our actions, our voluntary cooperation with the recommendations coming from the experts, actually show a wonderful spirit of community.

Yes, some of us are afraid. Yes, some people are hoarding. Yes, some are not listening.Yes, the news is depressing and sad.

Yet, I look around me and I see the generosity and kindness. The student who writes and asks me if I am ok, can they pick up something for me? The landlady who leaves a note under my door, telling me to let her know if I need anything at all. The calm generosity of the delivery driver. The spirit of camaraderie in the groups and tribes I belong to, consoling each other, encouraging each other, trying to find something to smile or laugh about in how we are coping, in how we are trying to enjoy our 'time off' in spite of all the things it is far too easy to worry about.

In a sense, in our social distancing and self-isolation, some of us are reaching out more. Finding safe ways to connect and shore each other up. Passing along good information, correcting misinformation. Offering virtual hugs.

I loved this quote from Dr. Lindsay Jernigan: "Try this perspective shift. Instead of seeing 'social distancing' and travel bans as panic, try seeing them as acts of mass cooperation intended to protect the collective whole. This plan is not about individuals going into hiding. It's a global deep breath... an agreement between humans around the planet to be still. Be still, in hopes that the biggest wave can pass without engulfing too many of the vulnerable amongst us."

2 comments:

Nina Chatelain said...

Yes, we can be alone together, in solidarity, all across the globe. There are so many inspiring stories of altruism and kindness to inspire one another with. I participated in a free, online writers' 'retreat' yesterday, and even though most of the time was spent 'alone' writing and brainstorming, it was a lovely experience to be part of something happening simultaneously among over 240 people. I saw this morning that there are online music festivals, documentary festivals, and all kinds of other events. Inspiring.

Unknown said...

Fantastic post, Vikki, reminding us of how looking at the positive side of our shared experience helps in the face of uncertainty.