It Takes as Long as It Takes

You know, many times over the past 5 years of songwriting, I asked myself why I was even bothering to keep trying... after yet another rejection, needs work, no thanks, no way. But I wasn't willing to give up on myself. Maybe I needed to learn more about composing and producing, maybe I needed to get better tools & learn how to use them effectively... but I firmly believed I had the seed of something good that just needed to be supported by learning, listening, and perserverance.

I often tell my students... think of your voice (or songwriting, or composing/producing), like a seed you've planted. You water it, you weed it, you make sure it has sun, and protect it from the frost... and it begins to grow. But you can't dictate to it when it will flower.

Tend your musical garden with patience.

~Vikki

No comments: