Quietly aware

In my life I have often felt an outsider. I wanted to keep apart, yet strangely I also wished I didn't feel so unconnected to others. I didn't know how to reach out. 

Small talk was something I didn't understand. I saw others having casual chats at coffee break or at social events, and had no idea how they did it. Anytime I tried, I just felt tongue-tied and super-awkward.

People would often remark on how quiet I was. I listened more than I spoke. Noise pressed on me and silenced me.

Being quiet doesn't mean I wasn't aware of my surroundings. I would see how the light softly traced the outline of the leaves on a tree. I would hear the tiny birds chirping in the hedge as they flitted from branch to branch. I might be the only one who noticed a snowdrop living in the shadow of a fence post.

No comments: